Kampala (Uganda), Heightened Caution Advised During May 12 Presidential Inauguration
The 2021 Ugandan presidential inauguration is scheduled for Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at the Kololo Independence Grounds in Kampala. U.S. citizens in Uganda should heighten awareness and use caution during this period. The Ugandan presidential inauguration is a political activity that may attract large numbers of participants. This type of gathering may increase the risk of violence, crime, significant traffic disruptions, and COVID-19 transmission. Clashes at this type of gathering and outbreaks of violence have occurred before, during, and after past presidential swearing-in ceremonies and similar political events in Uganda. Police routinely use force, including tear gas, rubber bullets, and live ammunition, to disperse protests. Demonstrations throughout Uganda have been known to escalate to violence. Thus, U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and crowds as well as take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens are reminded to review the U.S. Department of State’s Level 3 Travel Advisory and country information page for Uganda.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.
U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda, 1577 Ggaba Road, Kampala, Uganda
- +256-414-306-800 or after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens +256-414-306-001.
State Department – Consular Affairs
- or 202-501-4444
If you should have any questions or concerns or wish to request an update on a given situation in a foreign country do not hesitate to contact the following:
Rick Phillips Cody Cobb (706) 886-9929 = direct (706) 225-2526 = direct (706) 491-9888 = mobile (706) 491-5138 = mobile firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com